Sunday, April 26, 2009

that time of year again

It's that time of year again. The "I need this like I need a hole in the head" time of year. Yup -- it's term-paper time. Except this time, I have two papers due. So, I am writing about world-building in science fiction film, and civil rights and marriage for justice class.

I don't know why I never start earlier. And why I never have a clear grasp of what I am going to say. And why I never make enough time for research, or proof reading. I repeat the same mistakes over and over, without ever really improving my habits.

Perhaps I am addicted to procrastination. It works so well for me in my work life. If I wait long enough, projects tend to disappear as needs change. Or I would have spent weeks on something, only to have to re-do it a few months later because of new needs. While it works for me in some areas, clearly it is not working for me in others.

I think though, that habits are fairly difficult to change the longer you have had them. And this one has been with me for most of my life.

Oh well, I will work on it. Next year.

1 comment:

Kitten Herder said...

Perhaps you're an adrenaline junkie. The only way you can do peak work is under the influence of that last-minute panic adrenaline rush?

(Hey, it's worked for me in the past.)

I wonder if there is a 12 step program for that? I also wonder if we really want to volunteer for it. Some of us really do our best work under the gun.