Sunday, August 09, 2009

what I learned on my summer vacation

in no particular order, here's what I learned on my summer vacation:


  • your kid can surprise you, in a good way
  • any day that starts with a cup of tea, sitting on a dock looking over the water will be good
  • to be really at peace, I need to be near water
  • you can have too much fried food
  • mcdonalds is even worse than I remember
  • a few hours with a good friend can restore your spirit
  • america is a truly beautiful country
  • michigan may be one of the prettiest places I've ever been
  • traverse city is a nice place to visit, but it is kind of stepford
  • fresh raspberry blueberry cobbler is amazingly good
  • summer at 73 degrees is very different from summer at 92 degrees
  • we are spoiled by how nice people are in Baltimore
  • don't underestimate the power of a really good armchair
  • naps are essential
  • there is a huge difference between hiking 5 miles in the woods, and walking 5 miles on pavement
  • there is no sound like the laughter of a two year old
  • sandwiches are under-rated
  • the cleveland zoo is better than the baltimore zoo
  • I want to come back as a sea otter
  • I am not addicted to my computer -- no problem giving it up for a few days
  • you can go out to eat too much
  • it was easier to drive 500 miles when I was 20
  • I need to take more vacations

No comments: