Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pennies on the Dollar

Today was our annual United Way Campaign kickoff breakfast. As always, it had me thinking about people who need help.

Almost all of us would jump at a deal that lets us pay pennies on the dollar to buy something. If it cost a dollar, and I could buy it for a penny, I would. So would you. Now turn it around -- would you give a penny on a dollar? If you had a dollar, and someone really really needed it, would you give them a penny? How about if you had ten dollars, would you help someone out with a buck? I think most people would say "Yes" to that.

So this is my challenge to all of you. 1%. Pennies on a dollar. If everyone would dig deep, and give a whopping 1% of what they earn, we could make a huge collective impact on hunger, on homelessness, on poverty. That's a fabulous return, for pennies on a dollar.

1 comment:

Kitten Herder said...

I've never done quite that well in my charitable contributions in the past. Last year I did step up my giving quite a bit, then the bottom dropped out of our family economy. Sadly, the United Way is going to get less from me in 2010 than it got in 2009. However, I haven't abandoned giving all together. But, like every other discretionary expense in our lives, charitable giving has taken a cutback as well.