Saturday, March 28, 2020

reading my way thru the apocalypse

I am a big reader. I read my way through my childhood. Read my way through adolescence. Read my way through pregnancy. Kept reading all through my life, although not as much in the last few years. But now, faced with social distancing and a global pandemic, I am reading my way through that.

Recently, I discovered our beloved Enoch Pratt Free Library has e-books available. It's free, it's relatively easy to use the system to find and check out books, and they have a partnership with Amazon to deliver in KINDLE format for reading online. This is perfect for me, right now. While I love paper books and always will, I read much too quickly to have enough unread material on hand.

Thus far, I have been home about two weeks. I have read books 11-20 of the J.D.Robb In Death series. I read Laura Lippman's Lady in the Lake. I read a handmaid's tale knock-off called Vox. I've read the 26th book in the Stephanie Plum series. And I read the last of the Broken Earth books. This is in addition to the 50 to 70 hours a week I work, and the hours spent on real life with real people, and household and pet care stuff.

You will notice that I don't really care about "quality" of what I read. I want right now to have diversion, entertainment, something a little engaging and thought provoking, but not "rock my world" level fiction. I'm not looking for change, or deep emotional connection right now. Comfort is the name of the game.

What are you reading? Why?

No comments: