Tuesday, June 06, 2006

last days of Rome

Do you think, in the dwindling days of the Roman Empire, that they knew that it was over? That they would never rise so high, or be so great? Would it be like today in America?

We are apparently considering removing some key tenets of the Geneva Convention out of our troop training books. Specifically, we may permit "humiliating and degrading" treatment of prisoners. The same administration that expressed its sorrow (potentially, if any wrong was done, but still) over the massacre at Haditha, thinks its okay to abuse the prisoners in its care. Kind of like the the foul-mouthed parent that wonders where the f*ck their kids learned to talk like that....

Once, we were a great nation. Now we are a shadow of what we were. Hail Caesar!

1 comment:

Kitten Herder said...

In a way, I really wish it would end. I'm so very tired of the short-sightedness and blattant partisanism.

There was a great quote from "Dante's Peak" that applies here. "My 9th grade science teacher once told me that if you put a frog in boiling water, it'll jump out but if you put it in cold water and heat it up gradually, it'll just sit there and slowly boil to death."

Another friend and I were discussing the serious need to change our system of government. Typically, good people don't want to get into politics. They're too smart for that. Our discussion reminded me of that short story you wrote years ago about the political draft. I'd love to get a copy of it, if I could. It was great!