Friday, September 14, 2007

reading list for this semester

I am taking a course in Evil this semester, focusing on Greek Tragedy through Gothic Tales. The reading list is amazing, although very heavy for 12 weeks of school.

Here it is:

Agamemnon, Aeschylus
Medea, Euripides
Othello, Shakespeare
King Lear, Shakespeare
The Wild Duck, Ibsen
Candide, Voltaire
Frankenstein, Shelley
Wuthering Heights, Bronte
The Picture of Dorian Gray, Wilde
William Wilson, Poe
Rappacini's Daughter, Hawthorne
The Turn of the Screw, James
and poems by Shakespeare, Poe and Baudelaire

Yes, we have to read and discuss all of them. In twelve weeks. And we have two papers, one 8-10 pages, and one 18-20, both with oral presentations.

I think this may be the last r&r type weekend I can indulge in for a while. But I have to admit, this stuff jazzes me. I am looking forward to a great semester.

2 comments:

elsie said...

Heh, guess I really will be checking in with you in December! :)

Seriously, your reading list looks fascinating. I want to hear what you've learned, while we're freezing at the beach ...

Kitten Herder said...

Wow. That does sound heavy. At least you've read some of it before, that'll help. It's kind of odd that it's so heavy in the Shakespeare department. However, Othello does make a great choice when considering Evil.

You can always blog about topics you are considering. It might help get the juices flowing.