Tuesday, August 12, 2008

maybe I shouldn't read about food

I am about a third of the way through The Omnivore's Dilemma. I've read enough of it to know it will be an infuence on me. I should explain that when I was 8 I read The Jungle and didn't eat hot dogs for over 12 years as a result. A few years ago, I read Fast Food Nation, and you guessed it, have virtually given up fast food. I say virtually, because there are times when the universe conspires to make sure that's absolutely all that's available to you.

Books still have that power, that with the right alchemical combination of words, they can change you. I don't think it's a bad thing, mind you. I probably needed to ditch hot dogs and fast food.

Sometimes, though, there are unintended consequences. I had a hard time eating an ear of corn the other day. It somehow had taken on an evil tinge for me. A beautiful, fresh ear from the farmer's market... and then I slapped some butter on the sucker and took out my revenge for it ruining the planet.

No comments: