Tuesday, July 25, 2006

global warming

Will the last person in America who doesn't believe in global warming please stand up, so we can knock you down? It was 112 in Sacramento yesterday. St Louis has had a week of 90plus degree heat. The whole country is one big ball of sweat.

And its not just this year. Last year was one of the hottest on record, as was the year before. You can argue about the root causes of global warming, but I don't see how you can argue that it exists.

If I stay in my house long enough, I think I could eventually have waterfront property. And I am about 5 miles from the Inner Harbor... If I owned beach-front property right now, I'd be starting to think about how long I could hold my breath.

I always wanted to live in the tropics -- I just thought I would have to move to do it.

3 comments:

Kitten Herder said...

While I hate cold winters, I hate hot humid summers more. Our first few winters in New England, I had to repeat that mantra a number of times. However, the way things have been going, I could end up with weather that I like all year around in short order. This year, our winter wasn't as cold or snowy as our first few up here. And, while we've had a few days in the 90s, most days have been in the low 80s.

Then again. If the summers get much warmer, Canada begins to have additional appeal.

RaineS said...

Actually, I am not using two years of summers as my basis for this; I am using the National Academy of Sciences. According the the Academy, the scientific consensus is that "most of the observed warming of the last 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations." The Academy asserts that there is no longer any controversy in this issue; global warming is scientific fact, not conjecture or hypothesis.

Congress has apparently not gotten the memo. A Congressman recently called global warming a "hoax". Of course, Ted Stevens could send him an Internet on those tubes...;-) to let him know.

RaineS said...

I assume that we have to do what we can to mitigate it, even if we are not the sum cause. We are impacted, and will be more so, over time.

The whole issue scares the crap out of me. We aren't so good with the whole "global" problem thing.

As a species, man is very very young. We may not even be viable.