Friday, February 01, 2008

Obama Clinton, Clinton Obama

Makes no difference to me really, as long as its one of the two. I am enjoying watching history unfold. We will either have a woman as the Democratic candidate or a black man. Either way, historic and truly, truly wonderful. At the start of the campaigns, I listened to a lot of people say the country wasn't ready for a black president. The country wasn't ready for a woman president. The primaries are proving them wrong. Apparently we are ready. From the reactions of the voters, I would say we've been ready for a long, long time. There is a lot of pent-up frustration being released.

In our state, teenagers actually lobbied to be included in the primaries, if they are 17 and will be 18 by the general election. Lobbied to vote!! And thousands of these 17 years olds have registered. This is amazing to me.

As some of you know, I take voting very seriously. I have voted in every election since I was old enough to vote. And by every, I mean every primary, every general election, every local election. People fought and died for the right to vote. I feel like I honor their sacrifice every time I cast a ballot. And while I am often critical of the government, okay loudly and obsessively critical, I love America. As a citizen, it is my right and privilege, my absolute duty, to participate in the democratic process.

So take part in a little history -- vote Obama, vote Clinton -- vote!!

1 comment:

Kitten Herder said...

Isn't it weird and wonderful that the two top Democratic contenders are the people that they are?