Friday, February 24, 2006

good things

You know, life is really full of good things. I tend to focus on the bad stuff, because it's easier to notice what's wrong, and harder to put a finger on what's right. I believe that this is biologically hard-wired. For us to survive, we must quickly respond to the negative (hunger, thirst, danger, pain). Responding to the positives may improve quality of life, but it's rarely as urgent.

So a bad day at work may occupy all my thoughts, when I don't even notice that I came home to a wonderful husband and a terrific kid. I have a good job that pays well, but I notice that it doesn't pay well enough.

Experience and effort can trump biology. I can turn my focus, if I really want to, and if enough experience shows me its the right thing to do. I can appreciate the good things, and sit back and enjoy what is

No comments: